RING Video Doorbell vs Ring Video Doorbell 2
The first thing that many come to learn when shopping for the RING Video Doorbell is that there are two different versions out there. The Ring Doorbell 2 is the latest and more expensive version and is an upgrade that is equipped with more features and enhancements.
Note: Overtime there are other doorbell models out there such as Pro, Elite and Doorbell View. But this review is strictly based on our experience.
I thought it would be helpful to break it down by the main differences and similarities between the two versions to help you decide on which to purchase.
- They are both wireless video doorbells, they don’t require drilling, and can be quickly installed
- Ring only offers paid subscriptions; there’s no free cloud-storage plan for video recordings
- Both are weather resistant
- The design of Ring Video Doorbell 2 has slightly changed and is a bit larger, and the body kit seems to be quality made. The dimensions of Ring 2 are 2.4 x 2.4 x 5.1 inches, and it weighs 9.6 ounces.
- The dimensions of Ring Doorbell are 0.9 x 2.4 x 5 inches, and it weighs around 1 pound
- The Ring Doorbell 2 has “motion zones” to avoid false alerts triggered by random people and cars passing by. This helps with saving battery life.
- Ring Video Doorbell 2 includes two free plates in Satin nickel and Venetia colors which are interchangeable. Though the Ring 1 only includes the Satin Nickle plate.
- 1080p camera of Ring Doorbell 2 is an upgrade compared to the first-generation model at HD/720p. The Ring Video Doorbell 2 captures cleaner images and videos.
- The two-way audio of the Ring Video Doorbell 2 is also enhanced.
Camera Field of View
- 180-degree field of view for 1st Gen
- 160-degree field of view for 2nd Gen
- While both can operate as either a wireless, the RING Video Doorbell 2 can also be wired and this allows the battery life to lasts longer.
Additional Features only for the RING Video Doorbell 2
- Amazon Alexa Support for voice enabled commands
- Silent Doorbell mode
- Price differences, as of April 2019, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 is $199, and Ring Video Doorbell 1 is $99
If you can afford to, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 is the better option as you would expect since it costs more. With the Ring Video Doorbell 2, you have performance enhancements and more features. Either way, you can’t really go wrong with either. They both are great purchases.
OTHER RING PRODUCTS THAT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN
Ring Video Doorbell Pro, Works with Alexa (existing doorbell wiring required)
Ring Chime, A Wi-Fi-Enabled Speaker for Your Ring Video Doorbell
Ring Video Doorbell Elite
Other Articles You May Be Interested In
RING Doorbell NOT charging hardwired
Troy-Bilt STORM 2410 2-Stage Electric Start Snow Blower -REVIEW
Sun Joe 14 in. 28-Volt Battery Walk Behind Push Mower Review
Concept 2 Rowing Machine Review
Weber Spirit S-320 Grill Review
This Post Has 3 Comments
I hope Ring doorbell does a better job between version upgrades because the latest seems like a money grab. Overall great article!
Wonderful blog you have here but I was curious about if you
knew of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article?
I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get responses from other experienced people that
share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
I enjoy, cause I discovered exactly what I was looking for.
You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a
nice day. Bye